The Committee of the Merstham Village Club are currently reviewing the current Club Rules and bringing them up-to-date and clearer for current and new members.
In the meantime, you can view the current Club Rules below. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Amended November 2020
1. The name of the Club is THE MERSTHAM VILLAGE CLUB.
2. The objects of the Club are to promote physical and mental recreation for the inhabitants of Merstham without distinction of sex or of political, religious or other opinion.
3. All residents of Merstham who have attained the age of 18 years are eligible for Membership. Residents of other districts may become members at the discretion of the Committee of management.
4. Every candidate for membership shall be proposed and seconded respectively by two members of the Club and the nomination forms shall be posted on the Club Notice Board at least SEVEN DAYS before the candidate is considered for election. The proposer and/or seconder may be called upon to appear before the Committee of Management regarding their nominee. Failure to appear will invalidate the application. The proposer and seconder must have completed one year’s Membership.
5. Election to Membership shall be by the Committee of Management. Any person refused membership shall not be permitted to use the Club premises for any purpose. A Member shall give proof of his Membership when requested to do so by a Member of the Committee of Management, or the Club Steward.
6. The Annual Subscription shall be determined at an Annual General Meeting and posted on the Club Notice Board. All subscriptions shall be payable in advance, yearly on the 1st January. Any Member being one month in arrears shall cease to be a Member. The Committee of Management may consider reinstatement subject to a satisfactory explanation and all arrears being paid.
7. Members may introduce Visitors. The Visitor and the introducing Members shall sign one of the consecutively numbered forms in the Visitors Book. A Member introducing a Visitor shall be responsible for the conduct of the Visitor. No Visitor may make any purchase or pay for any game in the Club. The Committee of Management may make changes of admission to the Visitors on predetermined occasions.
8. Members of Visiting Clubs invited to take part in games, contests of any kind may be elected Members of the Club for the period of the contest only. A list of competing teams must be posted on the Club’s Notice Board 48 Hours prior to the contest and with the permission of the Committee of Management.
9. The Secretary may at any time suspend ANY MEMBER from using the Club without assigning any reason. The Member will be given the opportunity to explain his or her conduct to the Committee of Management who will either confirm or lift the suspension or may decide to expel the Member permanently from the Club. Any Member so expelled may appeal to the Appeals Committee convened for that purpose that may make recommendations to the Committee of Management. No Member who has been expelled from the Club may be nominated or seek election to any Office or Committee for the Club for a period of FIVE YEARS.
10. The Club shall be controlled by a Committee of Management, which shall have the SOLE RIGHT to manage the Club. The Committee of Management shall be elected annually at the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING and be composed of a Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Secretary, Social Secretary, Games Captain, and Seven Committee Members. The Committee of Management shall meet once in every calendar month, three shall form a quorum. The proceedings of the Committee shall not
Amended November 2020 be invalidated by any vacancy among its Members or by any defect in election, or qualifications of any Member. The Committee shall have the right to co-opt a Member of the Club to fill any vacancy created during the year. The Officers of the Club shall be ex-officio Members of all Committees.
11. The Committee of Management shall have the SOLE RIGHT to appoint a PERSON OF MERIT AND INTEGRITY to the office of President of the Club. Each year before the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING, the Committee of Management shall consider whether to re-appoint the existing President or consider other suitable nominations. In the event of more than one candidate being considered suitable, the President will be selected by a majority vote of the Full Committee of Management. The appointment can be terminated at any time by mutual consent.
12. The ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING shall be held before the 1st April each year to receive and consider the ANNUAL REPORT and ACCOUNTS and to transact any other relevant business, which can be dealt with at an ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING. Auditors (who must be Chartered Accountants) will also be elected. The ACCOUNTS shall be made up as at 31st December each year and shall be audited before the submission to the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING. The number of votes cast for each person standing in the elections shall be disclosed when the results are declared. All PROPOSITIONS and MOTIONS must be handed to the Secretary. AT LEAST SEVEN CLEAR DAYS prior to the meeting. The said PROPOSITIONS and MOTIONS must be properly proposed and seconded by FULL members and all signatures must be identifiable. Life Vice-Presidents and Life Members may be elected at the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING. At least SEVEN DAYS notice of a GENERAL MEETING or SPECIAL MEETING shall be given to the Members. Notice shall be deemed to have been given provided a notice is displayed in a prominent position on the Club Notice Board. The quorum at all GENERAL MEETINGS shall be 14 Members.
13. The Club shall (except where the Committee of Management shall otherwise arrange) be open to Members at such hours as are permitted by the Licensing Authorities. These times shall be posted on the CLUB NOTICE BOARD.
14. The Secretary shall summon a SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING on receipt of a request of NOT LESS THAN 25 Members, whose signatures must be identifiable, stating the reasons and object of the meeting. All signatories must make every effort to attend the meeting.
15. The Officers of the Club shall be Indemnified out of the assets of the Club against all actions, costs, losses, damages and expenses which they may sustain by reason of any lawful act done, concurred or committed during or about the execution of their duties or supposed duty, except through their own wilful neglect or default.
16. No unauthorised betting or gambling or persistent unsociable behaviour shall be permitted on the Club premises; such offences shall render the Member liable to suspension or expulsion from Membership.
17. It shall be a Member’s duty to assist the Club Steward in the enforcement of the Licensing Laws i.e.: drinking up time, etc. And to carry out any reasonable request by an Officer or Member of the Committee of Management in the course of their duties.
18. The Committee of Management may subject to the approval of a GENERAL MEETING alter, vary or rescind any of these rules from time to time providing they do not contravene the Bye-Laws of the TRUST DEED. No alterations shall be made unless approved by 75% of the Members attending the meeting.
19. No Dogs are allowed on premises after 9:30pm
20. Club members are entitled to sign in a maximum of four (4) visitors.
21. All Committee Members must hold a clean DBS certificate issued in the last twelve months to remain eligible on the Committee. New Committee Members without a valid DBS certificate must complete a request within one month of joining the Committee.
22. The Committee of Management must deal with all matters or situations that are not covered by these Rules.
23. Copies of these Rules shall be exhibited in a prominent place in the Club and issued to every Member.